Saturday, January 12, 2008

Pensive Musings

Hmm. I don't know if pensive is the right way to describe how I'm feeling right now. Its more than that. I feel lost, like I can see my life slipping by, and I'm not doing what I want with it. The only thing is, I don't know what I want. I'm fairly young. These are meant to be the best years of my life. Well, this year doesn't seem to be the best year of my life. I feel guilty about that. Don't want to get into why I feel guilty, but well, I do. I hate guilt. So much.

Anyway, this wasn't what I'm meant to be writing about. I was just listening to some music, and thinking about how some songs say EXACTLY what you feel like. What would my song be? The first one that comes into my head is 'Wide Open Spaces' by the Dixie Chicks. The lyrics of that song are just so brilliant. And they just say everything I've thought for so long.

'Who doesn't know, what I'm talking about,
Who's never left home, never struck out,
To find a dream and a life of their own,
A place in the clouds, a foundation of stone.

Many preceed, many will follow,
A young girl's dreams no longer hollow
It takes the shape of a place out West,
But what it holds for her,
She hasn't yet guessed.

She needs,
Wide Open Spaces,
Room to make a big mistake,
She needs,
New faces
She knows the high stakes.

She travelled this road as a child
Wide eyed and grinning she never tired
But now she won't be coming back with the rest
If these are life's lessons,
She'll take this test.

She needs,
..Repeat

As her folks drive away,
Her dad yells check the oil,
Mom stares out of the window and says I'm a leavin my girl
She said it didn't feel like I left long away
When she stood there
And let her own folks go.

She needs,
Wide Open Spaces
...Repeat'

Another one, that I think so perfect is again by the Dixie Chicks (I LOVE them. Kinda obvious huh?Well, they sing about my life! Who won't like that) Its called 'Cowboy take me away'.Again, brilliant lyrics. There was a line particularly that said something like take me to a place where there are no buildings for miles and miles and all I can see is the sky and the clouds. Made so much sense to me.

Father and Son by Cat Stevens, later well re-made by him and Ronan Keating, is another brilliant song. A lot of things that the son says to the father, I've often wished I could say to my dad, but I don't think I ever will.

Another one I love is Stay the Same- Joey McIntyre. Yes, I should be ashamed of admitting to liking teeny bopper numbers, but well a. I was a teenager when that came out and b. the lyrics do make sense! And I've never really understand the argument against boy bands anyway. Sure in public I refuse to admit I still have some Boyzone and Backstreet Boys songs hidden away in my iPod,but really whats the harm? I've heard things like, they can't play instruments so they aren't good musicians. That doesn't make a lot of sense does it? Not everyone can do everything! At least appreciate the fact that they can sing. I've heard about how they're only looking for publicity and fame, and its not really about the music. Well P-Diddy,Whitney Houston, Kurt Cobain, Eminem,and just about everyone else in the music industry has had enough negative publicity to match these guys'. They don't write their own lyrics? Again, they call themselves singers, not song writers so that should be all right. And their lyrics are cheesy and don't make sense. Well ya can't argue with that, but then again look at things like Candy Shop-50 cents, Milkshake-Kelis, Beautiful Girls by some new hip hop guy that I can't remember the name of!

Anyway I digress. So these are just some really good songs that make a lot of sense to me. What I find curious is that a song that totally touch one person could have absolutely no affect at all on the next person. Sure you might have liked these songs when they came out, but you probably never even noticed the lyrics, merely hummed the music for a while and then moved on to the next new number. If anyone's reading this, I'd be very interested in knowing what songs really moved you, or reminded you of your own life. Would be interesting to know if anyone else feels similarly about these, or other songs!

No comments: